Monday, March 5, 2012

comparison



Today I sketched out how I would like my pieces in the gallery and I came up with some titles, which I can share tomorrow.

I made a poster of the words that I collected from January and February online. This would go along with the pyramid piece because part of it derives from the same set of data.
I'm not set on the colors. Thoughts?
I came up with a quick blurb which is a couple of paragraphs at the bottom of the poster. I will post it below because I think it could use some editing:

Hello, Montserrat. For two weeks I followed your actions online. I noted your every word. I plotted each letter and sentence. I dated and organized your thoughts and comments. Finally, I created these charts with the information that I gathered. How we project ourselves on the internet can say a lot about our identity. The choice of words can also alter the ways in which we talk with our “friends,” whether in the real or digital world.

This poster compares two sets of data: the first derives from the second week of January and the second takes its cues from the second week of February. I gathered all of the words from a facebook newsfeed of the Montserrat network, limited to my “friends.” This list of people contains only those who either went to Montserrat, or presently study here. I threw out words such as “if” and “you.” I only included those words that were commonly used in both January and February. I systematically deleted any word with less than three overall mentions and I placed greatest importance on the most popular words. The height of each structure represents the number of times the word was used in a day, whereas the depth corresponds to the number of people who used the word. Sometimes one person would repeat a word many times throughout a day. Once in a while, many of us said the same thing all at once.
I numbered each word (1-6) in order of most occurances to least.

Everything that we post on social media becomes public property. Although our words might project our thoughts and feelings, they no longer belong to us. Perhaps digital communication is changing the ways in which we interact. Whether our language online is a shout into the digital abyss or form of public communication to a community of “friends,” what do our words really mean and what can they tell us about ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment