Tuesday, January 31, 2012

EL | Jan, 31st | Seminar Proposa

Fractal Typography.
For Senior Seminar, I would like to merge my interest in typography, and fractal geometry. A fractal is a curve or geometric figure, each part of which has the same statistical character as the whole. I would like to create letterforms and characters using both digital as well as hand-crafted materials, and then go in and create intricate designs inside of each letter (attached is a sketched example of this). I intend on using materials such as computer-based illustration programs, sharpies, X-acto knives, cut paper, vellum, etc. This Winter, I took a pop-up book making course that taught me different techniques to folding and displaying paper, as well as making books. I’ve always filled my sketchbooks with designs and doodles with mostly sharpie, and most have patterns. Many of the patterns that I create are similar to the fractals that are found in nature, such as the roots and branches of trees, mountains, waves, etc.
When people would see my doodles, they knew they were mine. I want people to walk into the gallery and know which work is mine. I want my personality to show through. I want something that I can be proud of, something that I am very passionate about. This is something that I am passionate about. Projects and ideas that I have previously worked on for Seminar in my independent study were things that I was interested in, but I lost interest very quickly. I didn’t feel passionate about it, and I didn’t feel fulfilled with it. I don’t want to spend the semester creating work for a show that is very important to me when I am not completely enthralled by it. I want it to be something that I want to work on any time I get a spare minute. What I am proposing is something that will do that for me. I know that I will want to spend time on it. I know that I will want to be working on it day and night to create a collection of work that is “me”, that is clearly “mine”.
As far as the technical aspect of my seminar work, I will be using programs such as Adobe InDesign and Illustrator to create the basic shapes such as letters and characters. I will then illustrate the fractal designs using both Illustrator and hand-crafted methods. I will be illustrating with Illustrator, markers, sculpting materials(possibly), as well as using paper itself. I intend on having final products be a varied collection of different mediums and sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment